We’re proud of our history and place in local Chesham life

Our History

175 years ago in 1838 William and Sarah Darvell established the origins of the business at 14 Church Street, Chesham. The little shop prospered and in due time their son George entered the business and succeeded to control. In 1906 he opened a branch shop at 28 High Street, Chesham.

Within five years the main trading centre of Chesham had become concentrated in the High Street and as a consequence, in 1911 it was decided to close the Church Street premises and enlarge those in High Street. This was effected by moving to No.30 next door so that a bakery could be erected at the rear. These same premises are still in use today but greatly modernised and improved.

In 1913 George passed control of the business into the capable hands of his son Joseph who oversaw the opening of a branch shop in Amersham in 1916.

In 1919 Joseph had the shop frontage modernised, which at the time represented the very latest in shop front design.

In 1959 another modernisation development saw the expansion to the premises to include 28-30 High Street.

1988 saw control of the bakery pass to his grandson David and his wife Susan. In 1991 and 1993 respectively, their two sons Marc and Jonathan joined the family business to become 5th generation guardians of the family business.

Today, David, Marc and Jonathan work hard to maintain the high quality that the bakery is known for and strive to introduce new products from around the world to complement their traditional products.

All our breads and cakes are still made by hand with the highest quality ingredients at the premises at the High Street in Chesham.

Historic 2

Joe Darvell with his horse and delivery cart in the early 1900’s.

History Shop Fronts

Darvell’s shop premises, 28-30 High Street, Chesham, through the ages.

Darvell family2 Darvells-Staff-3-61

Current guardians: Jonathan, David, Marc & Sue inside the bakery.